Thursday, April 7, 2011

Chapter 4- Designing Instruction to Improve Teaching and Learning

This chapter pointed out some important information and made some points which I find will be difficult for me to grasp and implement successfully when I first begin teaching. When this chapter says: “Teachers should know both the written and unwritten instructional rules of the road that will help their students avoid common obstacles…” I immediately ask myself if I know these rules and could implement them on the whim? Better yet, how will I know if I am doing instruction in the most effective way for my students?
I did agree and find that I will have an easy time assessing with both formal and informal ways of evaluating students. This has become natural to me and I am confident that I will do plenty of both in my units that I teach. Yet another quote from the chapter that I internally groaned at when reading was: “Teachers must use equitable and excellent instructional methods that meet students where they are and get the students where the standards say they should go…” This is such a huge challenge and I worry some that I won’t challenge my high level students enough, or will not push my lower level students far enough. I ask myself when reading this: What are instructional strategies I can use to complete this? Which is what this chapter did answer on the next few pages. I am really glad this chapter detailed 3 different models for organizing instruction. This helped me a little to better understand instruction, yet I feel I really wont totally understand what I will do or how my instruction will work until I actually try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment