Monday, March 21, 2011

Chapter 13- Outdoor Adventures

I loved this chapter so much, I couldn’t get enough of it. I grew up in the outdoors for most of my childhood. We didn’t have power, and we got our water from a faucet at the bottom of our hill. At that time I had no siblings; so it was just me, the forest, and my imagination. I have such a great appreciation for the forest and it concerns me that not enough other people do. I truly believe that the forest and wildlife could really be beneficial to our ways of life in the future if global and economic issues keep progressing the way that they are. Therefore I think that bringing students out into the forest and teaching them content outdoors is such a great idea. It can help them appreciate wildlife, especially if they have never really been in that environment before. I like how the chapter provides so many examples of subject based activities that teachers could have students doing within the forest. Basic survival skills are so important, not just for boy scouts, but fore everyone, and I think that by teaching students them, we are preparing them for events that could happen later in life. I really liked the writing ideas that the chapter presented, like interviewing a tree, or writing a story based on the animals in the forest. This chapter provided so many ideas, and different styles of writing and it is already getting me thinking of more I could use. I really hope I get to work with a team of teachers that would love to do this type of outing someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment