Monday, March 28, 2011

Chapter 7- Differentiated Instruction- Fitting Lesson to Learner

This chapter talked about what we have been covering in SED a lot. The quote from this chapter that explained the hardships of differentiated instruction clearly states the big problem: “It’s nice to make such claims (about trying to differentiate to every student), but close examination of my own lessons proves otherwise. With 140 students, I often take the path of least resistance.”
This quote daunts me a little bit because I know it will be quite a challenge for me to perform to everyone’s best needs, yet I am the type of person that tries so hard to help others in any way I can. I hope I don’t end up being the type of teacher who will bend over backwards to make special tasks or go way out of my way to help each of my students. Another quote at the end of that passage in the chapter couldn’t have said it any better: “Every day I vow to do better, and each year in the classroom brings me closer to my goal. But boy, does it take work!” I can totally see myself fitting this quote! Thankfully, the accomplishment of being able to see some success will motivate me to keep getting better at differentiating and teaching to specific needs. I know that differentiated instruction means that I match the challenge to the student, helping each student stretch individually, but what if I don’t? How will I know I am successful at this? How do I do it? This chapter has helped me to begin to think more about this issue. I think I really won’t know the answers to these questions until I get to practice this in the real classrooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment