Thursday, March 17, 2011

Student Oriented Curriculum

I really like the ideas that this book presented and this alternative type of teaching. I think I would be not be willing to personally teach this type of way just yet. But I think I feel this way just because it is very hard for us, as teachers, to step out of our comfort zone that we experienced and are use to. I feel that if there were a few schools that were using this program and really succeeding at this type of teaching and could be great role models for others to observe and go off from, then I would be more willing to try this new system.

I really like how responsibility is being placed on the students. I feel that by doing a system this way, the students will feel that school is more important to them, and more meaningful. Just as an artist normally feels proud of their artwork, I feel that students would be proud to what they have created for units. As was said in our groups, it is about the processes, not the testing.

I think that the biggest achievement of a program like this is that students get to practice making and motivating themselves, and creating habits that will help themselves in areas that are not content based. Students can learn responsibility and leadership roles that will affect them for their whole lives. Great book, thanks for sharing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment