Monday, March 21, 2011

Chapter 3- Brain Research Applied to Middle School

Chunking is a word I have never heard before. I understand the concept that this section was speaking of, but I had never heard anyone call storing information “chunking”. I really like the idea of trying to attach as many ideas to a single word as possible in order to store all that information. I would like to learn more ways that chunking is successfully used in a classroom and how a teacher knows that this way of teaching is effective and working on the students.
I loved the note about water in this chapter. Having a water cooler in my classroom is such a good idea. I think it would allow for quick and easy access to something that is good for you, helps you learn, and it will prevent those students that use getting a drink an excuses for roaming the halls to have to leave my room.
I really loved the section about teaching students to reason. I understand both sides of the argument that this section is making about how to teach kids to learn, yet I really like the point that John Roe made about there is new information all the time, we must teach students how to learn as well as the information we want them to know. I think this is so important because about half of my students are going to view English as useless no matter how much I give reasons for why we are learning each unit. By teaching kids teaching skills as well as content, I can assure myself that all of my students are taking something form my class, even if it is just life skills for other classes and life in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment