Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Chapter 3

Now that I have practiced the Backward Design model from Practicum I found that I could take much more from this chapter. I really like how this model allows teachers to be thinking of their end goal before starting lesson planning. I feel that by doing this and constantly keeping the Standards in mind before starting lesson planning, it is so much easier to make sure all that we are teaching is based on the Standards. I like the concept of Standard Based teaching, I think that we just need to find better ways to teach and assess students as we are teaching these standards. I really liked in this chapter the example of the school in Salem, Mass that has successfully implemented the Backwards Design model. By hearing and reading of more and more successful examples of this model, it gives me a clearer picture of what we all should be striving for when we begin teaching. I also really liked that this school had also incorporated team teaching and hands on activities to go along with their Backwards Design model. It seems to make so much sense, if you know what standards you are going to cover, you can then use your imagination to come up with great lesson plans with the Standards in mind, instead of creating a fun lesson and then trying o figure out how it relates to the standards that we need to be covering and teaching students.

No comments:

Post a Comment