Thursday, March 3, 2011

Waiting For Superman Reflection

I really enjoyed watching this documentary. When watching these types of films, I am constantly thinking how this affects me and what it is that we need to do to fix the problem.

It amazes me that we can continue to stand around twiddling our thumbs as the problem of our Nation’s Education system continues to fail. I feel that we have worked ourselves into a trap and can’t find any way to back out. I know that there are things that we are doing to try to improve our situation, yet I feel that it is too slow. If this problem has been ongoing for the last decades, as the film describes, then what action is it going to take to finally cause a big change?
I believe that since so many lotteries are popping up due to the popularity of charter school and not enough positions for the high demand, this is a sign that a lot more charter school need to be built. If something becomes popular enough more and more people jump on the band wagon, therefore I feel that eventually this problem will be solved and our nation will slowly move away from the Unions that seem to be in control of the school systems.
But my biggest fear is that it won’t happen soon enough. Failing rates in the U.S. is so high right now, as the movie illustrated, and there are so many world changes that are taking place and will continue to take place since the U.S. doesn’t have any wiggle room to fall behind. I feel that with climate change issues growing and economic issues evolving, we are going to fall behind if we don't teach kids to find new ways of living and implementing them. Otherwise, other countries in the world that have a better education system, China or Japan for example, will surpass us in developing these new systems of living that we need most. We need better education to keep up and educate minds to forming a better and continuing system that will be successful. Their minds are what are behind success.

No comments:

Post a Comment